Current:Home > MarketsClass-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico -WorldMoney
Class-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:29:32
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A new class-action lawsuit alleges that U.S. immigration authorities disregarded signs of unsanitary and unsafe conditions at a detention center in New Mexico to ensure the facility would continue to receive public funding and remain open.
The lawsuit announced Wednesday by a coalition of migrants’ rights advocates was filed on behalf of four Venezuelans ranging in age from 26 to 40 who have sought asylum in the U.S. and say they were denied medical care, access to working showers and adequate food at the Torrance County Detention Facility, all while being pressed into cleaning duties, sometimes without compensation.
The detention center in the rural town of Estancia, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) from the Mexico border, is contracted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to accommodate at least 505 adult male migrants at any time, though actual populations fluctuate.
Advocates have repeatedly alleged in recent years that the the facility has inadequate living conditions and there is limited access to legal counsel for asylum-seekers who cycle through. They have urged ICE to end its contract with a private detention operator, while calling on state lawmakers to ban local government contracts for migrant detention.
“The point is that ICE can’t turn a blind eye to conditions in detention facilities,” said Mark Feldman, senior attorney at the National Immigrant Justice Center, which is among those representing the plaintiffs. “They maintain congressionally mandated oversight responsibility over conditions wherever immigrants are detained.”
The detention center failed a performance evaluation in 2021, and the lawsuit alleges that ICE scrambled to avoid documentation of a second consecutive failure that might discontinue federal funding by endorsing a “deeply flawed, lax inspection” by an independent contractor.
The lawsuit says the agency disregarded contradictory findings by the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General and a contracting officer at ICE that suggested continued unhealthy conditions and staff shortages.
A spokesperson for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Thursday that the agency does not comment on litigation. Last year Chief of Staff Jason Houser said ICE would continuously monitor the facility and noted that it stopped using the Etowah County Detention Center in Alabama when expectations there were not met.
CoreCivic, the private operator of Torrance County, had no immediate comment. The company has repeatedly disputed critical findings about operations at the facility and accused government watchdogs and advocacy groups of misrepresenting detention conditions.
As of September about 35,000 migrants were being held in ICE detention facilities across the U.S., while the agency monitors another 195,000 under alternatives to detention as they advance through immigration or removal proceedings, according to Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.
The southern border region has struggled to cope with increasing numbers of migrants from South America who move quickly through the Darien Gap between Colombia and Panama before heading north.
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque, are also represented by the ACLU, Innovation Law Lab and attorneys for Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan.
veryGood! (759)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- New Hampshire AG’s office to play both offense and defense in youth center abuse trials
- Women’s roller derby league sues suburban New York county over ban on transgender female athletes
- Jamie Lee Curtis Shares Glimpse at Everything Everywhere All at Once Reunion at 2024 Oscars
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- South Carolina House nears passage of budget as Republicans argue what government should do
- Director Roman Polanski is sued over more allegations of sexual assault of a minor
- Driver crashes car into Buckingham Palace gates, police in London say
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Colleges give athletes a pass on sex crimes committed as minors
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Elle King breaks silence about drunken Dolly Parton tribute concert: 'My human was showing'
- Bob Saget's widow Kelly Rizzo addresses claim she moved on too quickly after his death
- Airbnb bans indoor security cameras for all listings on the platform
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- As TikTok bill steams forward, online influencers put on their lobbying hats to visit Washington
- Uvalde police chief who was on vacation during Robb Elementary shooting resigns
- Messi 'a never-ending conundrum' for Nashville vs. Inter Miami in Concacaf Champions Cup
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Viral video of Biden effigy beating prompts calls for top Kansas Republican leaders to resign
NFL free agency winners, losers: Cowboys wisely opt not to overspend on Day 1
Cleveland to host WWE SummerSlam 2024 at Cleveland Browns Stadium
Average rate on 30
Mets legend Darryl Strawberry recovering after suffering heart attack
5 missing skiers found dead in Swiss Alps, search for 6th continues: We were trying the impossible
Website warning of cyberattack in Georgia’s largest county removed after it confused some voters